вторник, 29 октомври 2013 г.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

So I want to write a review of my favourite book ever. Divergent by Veronica Roth!! If you haven't read this book, then what have you been doing with your life, people? So, yeah, read it, re-read it, because it's awsome!

13335037In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
 
So, I won't talk abou the world in this book. Because whatever you have to learn, you can from the description of it. They idea is quite original. I read this last year and I still haven't found a dystopian book that has the similar idea. When I first got the book, I thought it will be something about superheroes and stuff like that. But I was really wrong. Divergents are not superheroes, they don't have and strange powers. I think they're just more developed than he others. They can be honest and clever and brave at the same time, for example!

Characters:

There are great, likeable characters in the book, characters you can fall in love with and characters you want to kiss and...do other things. And then there are some characters you want to strangle or trow a knife at or trow in The Pit or fire a gun at or make them live in their Fear Landscape.
 
Lets start with the main heroine, Beatris "Tris" Prior. She is a character I always wanted to be like. She is selfless and brave and clever. I thing the hardest of them all for me would be being brave. Is there anything I don't like in Tris? She doesn't stop talking abot how she is not the prettiest girl and she is not good enough. I don't know if someone else noticed it, but it was poking me in the eyes all the time. Did you notice it? Also, I always imagined Tris as Veronica Roth although they are completely different.
Moving on. Best Male Lead Role goes to Four. He is, of course. the love interest in this book. A thing in this book I'm very grateful for is that there is no love triangle. Just Tris and Four and no other gyus and girls showing up there and spoiling the fun. Four being Tris's instructor made me imagine him as much older than he actually is. Well, Tris didn't exactly pay that much attention to his looks. Yeah, she metioned his eyes, but other  than that nothing. I really wasn't suprised to find out from which Cast he came. Tris's mother helped a lot.
Christina was a fun character. And again I couldn't imagine her as she was described in the book. In my mind she had long black hair and green eyes.  I can't really say much about her. She was a good friend to Tris. Although I was reall pissed when she was jealous of Tris for being the best in Initiation. Really, is that all it takes to start being a fair weather friend? But enough on this. The Will/Christina relationship was very sweet. Too bad they didn't get a chance to be together.
Now I just want to rant about Will. SPOILERS! Tris could have just shot him in the hand or something like that. But no, she had to kill him. That should have gave the fans the hint that there is going to be death in this trilogy, lot's of death!  As someone who has already read Allegiant, I should know! SPOILERS END!

Other characters:

Now my least favourite character was All! Most people think it's Erik, but at least Erik wasn't whiny and afraid to punch someone. All started okay as a character, but as the book went on, he became less likeable and then he became grumpy and then he attacked Tris. I think she was right not to forgive him. I wouldn't have either! And why did he even choose Dauntless if he is afraid to fight? I wouldn't want to puch my friends, but that was just once and after that he became a cry baby. And I think the simulations really freaked him out. Maybe he had too many fears. I won't be suprised actually.
And Erick! I didn't like him. And I don't think he is really the evil guy. He is just being used by Janine. And you know he is a grown-up Peter. He is just jealous of Four. Oh, and I like to imagine Peter actually has a crush on Tris, but he doesn't know how to flirt. That's why he is so mean. I would really like that. I would like to see that he isn't that evil and that he is just hiding behind this fasade.
Tris's mother was a character I really want to know more about. She is kind of mystirious. We know she used to be Dauntless and she became Abneration, because she was a Divergent. But that's what Tris know! And we all know that you can't trust what the main character assumes.
Oh, and I almost forgot Uraih! Maybe he ws truly the best friend Tris had in this book. I mean, they didn't spend that much time together, but he helped her and he was funny. Not that those are the mostimportant qualities, but I like him nevertheless!
And I totally forgot about Tori. I don't really think her brother is dead. He probably ran away when he found out he was Divergent.There is this thing I don't like in her, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
 

Fear Landscape:

Now the Fear landscape was a very interesting moment in the book. I will surely have more than seven fears. But less than twenty. I probably won't be able to calm down or face my fears and I'll be stuck in my fears forever. As much as I would like to imagine otherwise!
 
I recommend this book to EVERYONE! Just read it people! It's awsome and you won't be able to put it down!
Oh check this thing I found:  That's how I felt the day Allegiant came out! And I think we all know how I felt after I finished reading it!
 

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар