понеделник, 17 февруари 2014 г.

LGBT Challenge 2014: Boy meets boy by David Levithan



23228


So, hey guys! What's up? I finished my first book for the LGBT Challenge. Or should I say did not finish.  Let the SPOILERY review begin!

I decided to pick up this book mainly because it was short. It's like 185 pages. I thought I could start with something short and then get to the longer books. The other reason was because I like David Levithan. I have read three or four books by him and I enjoyed some of them greatly. This one, however I did not.
The other thing is the cover which is really cute and simple and who wouldn't want to own this book just because of the cover.

I love the world David Levithan has created in this book. A town, where gays, lesbians, bi's, drag-queen/quarterback co-exist. We all know this can't/doesn't exist in real life. In real life the ones who are different are bullied. I like how the town reformed the Boy-Scouts, because they didn't accept gay guys and turned them into Joy-Scouts.

The story is told in first person from Paul's POV. Paul is a gay high school student who's dealing with all the "fun" that high school tends to bring, seeing his ex-boyfriend on a daily basis and also falling for the new boy in town. The biggest problem was that I didn't connect with Paul. He was kind of emotionless to me. Also, sometimes Paul would think things that I don't think any other 15-year old thinks:
I find my greatest strength in wanting to be strong. I find my greatest bravery in deciding to be brave....If there's no feeling of fear, then there's no need for courage.
I like David Levithan, but I feel like in this book he was just trying to force his points too across. They just don't fit in the story.

A person who confused me is Infinite Darlene. Infinite Darlene is one of the school's apparently many transvestites who happens to be both the star quarterback and the homecoming queen. And, no one seems to think twice about it.  I didn't get how some of the boys had a crush on Infinite Darlene and yet they weren't gay.
I couldn't really sink in the story. There were those bits that always made me remember I'm reading a story.
Í guess that's it. I know the review is insanely short. I gave up the book at around 52% so I can't really write that much. I never DNF books. (well apparently almost never.) But then there are those that I just can't read.
That's all. I'll see ya next time.

2 коментара:

  1. Haha yes, Boy Meets Boy is a bit of a utopia. It's not my favorite LGBT book (maybe I liked it because it was one of my first LGBT books, I don't know...), but still I'm sad you didn't enjoy it more. :( Hope your next YA LGBT book will be more to your liking. :)

    ОтговорИзтриване
  2. Aaaw, I'm sorry you didn't like this one! I can totally see why it wouldn't work out. I haven't read it but I'm not too sure if I'd like it. If I'm ever looking for a short read, I might look into it. Good luck with the rest of your LGBT Challenge! Hope you link up your blog for LGBT Month for April. :)

    ОтговорИзтриване