събота, 4 януари 2014 г.

ARC reviews

This is just a post with a few ARC reviews. I don't want to spoil anyone, but I don't think I'll be able to write long non-spoilery review so I decided to make one big.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (coming out 28th of January 2014)

This beautiful retelling is coming out in 24 days, but I don't want to spoil you anyway.
This was a beautiful retelling of the Beauty and the beast fairy tale. You can't really guess that it is a retelling. The original story is twisted and turned until you get a new original story. This is Rosamund Hodge's debut novel, I think. Her writing style was good. Now the main heroine, Nyx. She wasn't bad. I liked her. She was brave and that's a thing I admire. She was smart. A little tiny thing that annoyed me was the grudge she held for her sister, Astria. I totally understand it, though. I would have felt the same way if I was the one who had to mary a demon and my sister (if I had one) could live and be happy and marry a mortal. But she went a bit too far. Ok, Astria was super annoying at times. That I can admit.
Now here is a little spoiler for ya. There was a love triangle in this book. In didn't hold a long time, but there it was. I shipped my couple, I switched teams, but in the end it turned out I didn't have to switch teams at all, because [insert major plot spoiler]. I can say this is one well written love triangle.
Ignifex! Oh, let's talk about Ignifex! *insert evil laughter here* He was a hell of a character. I loved him. Hope you love him too. There isn't much said about him in the synopsis of the book, so let's get one thing clear. His job in the world of Arcadia is to make bargains with humans. He doesn't kill anybody. (Ok, that's a tiny lie! He does kill a guy or two.) (Ok, big lie. He does kill lots of people!)
The ending was good. At some point everything went Doctor Who style. Arcadia went spacey-wesey, wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey! But still that was a good book. Can't wait for you to read it.

Perfect Lies by Kiersten White (comes ou February the 18th 2014)

The second book in the Mind games duology. Mind games was probably my favourite Kiersten White book. Why didn't anybody tell me this wasn't a trilogy, but a duology? Why the hell? What the hell? I expected another book. It can't end. It just can't. I want more Fia and Annie and other characters. So, after this rant let's begin with the real review.
I think everyone went WOW at the end of Mind games. At least I did. WOW. Annie isn't really dead. YAY.  Now in this book we get dual POVs, Annie and Fia. But the timelines are different. There is this sort of countdown. Like 23 hours before; 4 days before. And Annie and Fias timelines are very different at times. While Fia is "7 days before" ,Annie is "3 and a half months before". And that is completely confusing. I will try to re-read this book someday, but in the right order. I'll orded the chapters chronologically and read them. Nah! That'll probably make me evn more confused.
A spoiler for ya! (Again! Just a tiny little thing.) Annie has a love interest. I just went yay. Why should Fia get all the guys? Give some to Annie. Now, I know you might think you know who he is, but you might be wrong. Or maybe you are right. Or are you wrong again? Mwahahahaha Yes, I am torturing you.
That ending. Oh. My. God! That ending. I loved it and I hated it. Don't worry no one important dies. But still it was WOW. That's all about this book. It's more of a rant then a review. Oh, and here is a little quote for ya:
“I have a date with the endless empty ocean. I am ready to leave. I am choosing nothing, and, for once, nothing is exactly right.”  

Fan Art by Sarah Tregay (comes out June the 17th 2014)

Sorry about the small image. I couldn't find a bigger one. The other were too big. So you'll have to deal with this one. My review will be short anyway. So for those of you who don't know, this is a gay book. It's a book about gay boys and there are some gay girls too. It's a lot of fun and 2014 is officially the year I fell in love with gay fiction. This book was cute and sweet, but not too cute or too sweet. It's about this boy, Jamie, who has a crush on his best friend Mason, but is scared to come out to him and tell him that he is gay and that he loves him. Ignoring the fact that Mason is a boy, this is a normal friends-fall-in-love contemporary book. The whole book was great and the ending. Oh, that ending. Loved it. It was sweet and great and fantastic. Both Jamie and Mason were interesting characters. Their lifes weren't perfect. They had some problems. A character I very much liked was Eden. She is the lesbian character in this book and she had a hard time coming out, because her parents just won't admit to themselfes that she is infact a lesbian. Challis, the other lesbia girl, was great great great great great. I liked her more than Eden.
That's all you get for this book.

Death sworn by Leah Cypess (comes out May the 4th 2014)

This is the first book in a new series by Leah Cypess. This is also the first book by this author I read. I enjoyed it, but truth to be told, I would have preffered it to be a stand alone. The author could have changed the ending or made the book 200 pages longer. It wouldn't have killed you. But no! You had to end it this way. Break my heart, then step on it. Ok, maybe I'm over reacting. It wasn't as bad as I make it sound, but I just...UGH. I shipped that couple. There wasn't an awful lot of romance in the book. What do you expect? All the male characters are assasins. And Ileni doesn't have much time for boys. She is sent there to investigate the murder of other Renegai/magicians. That's what I liked about her. She wasn't some love sick girl that needed saving every five minutes. She was losing her magic, but she still tried to use it as good as she could. There is no love triangle. Let's sing Hallelujah! There probably is going to be one in the next book, but I don't care. Long live the love tiangle-less book! This book was also good and great and go read it once it comes out.

(Don't you) forget about me by Kate Karyus Quinn (comes out June 10th 2014)

Also a great book. Just look at the title. Song reference. I listened to this song at the beginning of the book. And then every second chapter has a song name instead of a number. Sort of like flashbacks. So here you go, this book's soundtrack. No, I won't give it to you. I just meant that it's fun to listen to the songs. This is a book about a town where nobody dies and gets sick, but there is a price. Every fourth year something bad happens. Something supernatural or someone dies. Usually this someone is a teen. So on a fourth year Skylar loses her sister, Piper. And she (I mean Skylar) starts to take drugs to forget about her sister's loss. To stop the pain and that sort odf stuff. All the people responcible for fourth year accidents are sent to this Reformatory outsed town. So Skylar thinks that Piper might be still alive. Secrets are revealed and things like that. I see it as a book about letting go. Letting the once we love go and remembering them for who they are, the good things and the bad things. The plot got a bit blurry at some point so I couldn't understand what happend with Foote, who is my favourite character.
I'm repeating this once again, go read this awsome book once it comes out, because it's just so so good!!   

Sorry for the gigantic images and the very small ones. I couldn't find smaller/bigger.       

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар