събота, 4 януари 2014 г.

Kate Daniels series boks 2-5 by Ilona Andrews

So recently I reads the Kate Daniels series, but I didn't have time to review all of the books. I made a review on the first one here. Today I finished the fifth book and I bought the sixth one. So here we go books 2-5.

Magic Burns-Book 2

1811543Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.

When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive...


So I liked book one very much. It's slow in the beginning, but otherwise a very good book. This one? Oh, this one I loved. It was so funny. I can open to a random page and it will make me laugh. However, there was a lot of blood. That doesn't gross me out, but it's not very pleasant to read. Now in this book we get introduced to one of my favourite characters, Julie. Kate has to find her mother, who is a mark of a witch coven. Julie was a bit annoying at first. She was all about her "boyfriend" Red. Red was OK in the first book, but in the second. I can't even remember if he died, but if he did-good. He just wanted to use Julie and that's not cool, man. Not. Cool.
Saiman. Ok. Never liked this guy. Like ever. But he was....yeah, he was....he was in this book. I don't know how you discribe that one guy who dances around naked in the snow during a magic flare. You just can. Right? (I know you laughed. Just admit it. You laughed at this one!)
So Curran. Let's hear a roar for Curran. He wasn't my favourite character in the first book, but I started to like him...a lot. You can see the tension between him and Kate. I should have figured out he is the love interest. He is on the covers so DUH! Stupid me.
And the epilogue of this book. Oh, loved it. Loved it way too much.
Ok, enough on the second book. Moving on to the third one.

Magic Strikes-Book 3

 When magic strikes and Atlanta goes to pieces, it’s a job for Kate Daniels… Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games—an invitation only, no holds barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament—she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community…


If people have told you that this seies starts at book three. Yeah, they told you the truth. The first book is OK. The secong is lovely. (Not the word I would normally use, but let's roll with it.) The third one is kick-ass great.
So things were not great for Derek in this book. So much bone breaking for him. And that's how the pretty teenage boy wonder turned into a hard-core shape-shifter. So it all starts with the Midnight games. Ok, I can't explain to you what the Midnight games are. Go figure it out yourselfs. Ok, I'll try. They are like a tournament where supernatural creatures compete for a prize.
And again I blame Saiman. He took Kate to the Games. Kate is a magnet for troubles. You should have known. And again Saiman being all about sleeping with Kate. I still can't get that image of him from book two out of my head. *shudders*
Julie appered again. Oh, she is just so great. Why wasn't Kate here when I had troubles in school? I needed a crazy aunt to show off with back then. To think of it, I still need one.
Kate and Curran. Spread the word. Tell the world. Why isn't this in the newspapers? So, everyone knows of the bath tub scene. Things get hot-tastic. And then...Derek desides to knock on the door. Well, go to hell man! You did enough damage for one book. Go away. Leave them be. Oh, and I loved how Kate sort of locked Curran in a loup cage so he can't come and fight with her in the Games. And he came anyway. Because Julie let him out. Bravo, Julie! Bravo! And they fought together, which was epic! And bad-ass. Why hasn't anybody written a ballad or a poem about Kate yet. She is a bad-ass sword-wielding kick-ass magic-using fighter.
Ok, I'm missing something. Something big, somthing important. Oh yes! The naked dinner! Oh,come on! That was a big deal in the book. I love the epilogues of those books. All of them. But this one. Yeah! WOW! Did he just left her instructions for what to cook him and what to wear? He didn't? Did he? Oh, yes he did.
So enough of this books bad-ass-ness. Moving on.

Magic bleeds-Book 4

Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.

Kate Daniels works for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, officially as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle - especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community. When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers that there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years - and who rode to war at the side of Kate's father. This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family.


Book four is surely my favourite. We start with Kate making the Named dinner, waiting for Curran. He is late. I was like: What? Curran can't just miss the Naked Dinner! No. He can't. He just can't. Well, guess what? He did. I was shocked and Kate was pissed.  Really majorly pissed! This book made me laugh so hard, my head hurt. That's Kate after all. There was this moment when she was with Curran and Jim and she was still pissed. The conversation was something like that:
Kate to Jim: Please relay my greetings to the Beast Lord. I'm happy that he can take time from his busy schedule to come.
Jim to Curran: Kate says hi.
 Curran: *snarl*
Ok, I'm pretty sure I laughed diabolicly at that one. But come on! That was just so...WOW! And speaking of Curran and Kate.....Let the Mating games begin! As I said, a lot of funny moments in this book. She put catnip in his bed and did something to his weight bench and he glued her to her chair. Fun all around!
UGH! SAIMAN! Again! How many times have I told you to stay away from Kate? And how many times has she told you to stay away from her? You did it again. Well, you did well this time. You got drunk and was chased by the Beast lord. And what if Kate hadn't drove him to his apartment? I have a very clear image of Saiman being chased by a lion. Now imagine the same scene in cartoon. I don't know why I imagine it like that, but it makes it a hell lot of funnier.
Kate and Curran had sex. Then the had a fight, because Kate didn't want to live in the Keep. Which ruined the romantic moment! Thank you very much, Kate!
Kate's poodle, Grendel! That dog! Ok, I want that dog. Mom would have a heart attack when she sees it. She is not a big fan of cats or dogs or any kind of pets. Especialy not the kind that pees everywhere. But that dog was one hell of a badass. Like Kate.
Now, saving the best for the last. Kate's enemy in this book was totally epic. Erra! Ok, that doesn't mean anything to you, but that's practically Kate's aunt. Maybe my favourite of Kate's oponents. Ok, not maybe! She was the most dangerous, I think. And there were those moments when Kate and her will talk and then fight or fight and then talk. Which was ridicilous!
The ending I really though Curran might die. No, I never thought that! But I was scared. What if he never wakes up? And the Pack! Hpw could they be so mean to Kate after she saved their asses several times? And to challenge her 22 times in one week? She is human! (Well, half human!) Not a shape-shifter, not a vampite. She can't heal. Are you trying to test her or kill her? I guess both. Good thing Curran woke up and put them into their place!
So that sonofabitch Ted made Kate choose between the Pact and the Order. Of course, she is going to choose the Pact, you idiot. You just ost one of your best people. Go to hell!
Again the epilogue was great. And I loved it. This is my favourite book in the series so far.

Magic slays-book 5

Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate.

So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price ...


I finished this one today. Again a great book. So much kick-assery and bad-assness and action and bits of romance.
So now Kate has her own business. And that's cool. I kind of expected her to have many clients, but things never go easy for Kate Daniels. So she finally gets a client and it turns into another hell of a mess. A conspiration that want to kill everyone and everything with a drop of magic in it. So here it comes. This book was such a fast read. One big thing happens, a second big thing happens and then "BAM!" the book's over. Andrea comes back. Oh, yay! She is a ery enjoyable character and I haven't mentioned her in any of my previous reviews. But she is a good character and sort of Kate's best friend. I wish she and Rafael would go back together. Go back together! NOW!
Kate and Curran are together and they have a few fights and that's it. Nothing that important to talk about them.
Julie! Julie! Julie! Julie! Oh, dear Julie! I though she was going to die or become a shape-shifter. And Kate "saved her". I think it wasn't the best she could do. It practicaly turned Julie in a slave. But at least she lived and now she has some of Kate's powers. Or at least she will soon.
We get a new character introduced. Ascanio from Clan Bouda! Ok, that was one horny 15 year old shape-shifter. He was ready to get it on with anything that walks and smiles at him. Now don't give me that look! You know it's true! He tried to make out with Julie. Good thing she put him in his place. And some people ask me why I like her so much? Derek mopped the floor with Ascanio. I wanted to be there. I would have brought popcorn and some of those big megaphones to cheer on Derek. Ok, so Ascanio wasn't so bad after he go mopped with and got a hell of a lecture from Kate. He was eve half decent.

I can't think of anything else to say about any of those book except that tey were all awsome and you should go read them. I'll see ya next time.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар