петък, 27 декември 2013 г.

September girls by Bennett Madison

I'm not a fan of books about mermaids. The ones I have read are EPIC FAILS! But this one....this one is actually good. Very good. As you might have guessed I read it in September. And I'm posting the review just now. This is actually the review I posted on Goodreads so don't be suprised that I talk about summer and September and finishing this book yesterday.

16065555
When Sam's dad whisks him and his brother off to a remote beach town for the summer, he's all for it-- at first. Sam soon realizes, though, that this place is anything but ordinary. Time seems to slow down around here, and everywhere he looks, there are beautiful blond girls. Girls who seem inexplicably drawn to him.

Then Sam meets DeeDee, one of the Girls, and she's different from the others. Just as he starts to fall for her, she pulls away, leaving him more confused than ever. He knows that if he's going to get her back, he'll have to uncover the secret of this beach and the girls who live here.


Ok. So yeah, I finished it. And I don't really have much to say. And look at that. It was the end of summer yesterday. And I started this book yesterday. Coincidence, right? Well, I must say it was a great book to end the summer with. If I think about it some more I would say it is the best book I read this summer. But I'm writing this now so I won't say such a thing.
I lost the element of suprise that they were mermaids/ sirens. I just saw this question on Goodread: What do you think about the mermaids in September girls? I really thought it was a contemporary book. I mean, look at the cover and the title. It screams contemporary to me. But after finding it was YA I read it for less then 24 hours.
I was very confused with the changing chapters, you know, Sam chapter, then Mermaid chapter. (that's what I call them!) At first I thought it was just a random September girl talking and then I thought it was DeeDee, but I never thought about it being Kristle. I was happy about her in the end. Yeah, she didn't get to brake the curse, but she didn't exactly die. I think she would be happy where she is going. She is free now and she knows who she is. She is Kristle, she is herself.
The ending was kind of open. Am I the only one in the YA fandom who likes open endings? Like I loved Requiem by Lauren Oliver. I loved the ending. It made me feel like all these things in the books happend in the past and that it happend and people today just don't know about it. ANd the open ending here was great too. We don't really know what happent to DeeDee. Did she go to Paris? Did she ever left the beach? Or maybe she stayed, replacing Kristle as everyone's older sister, caring for them? And maybe if she left she met Sam again! And they lived happily ever after? No, I don't think they will! Maybe they will meet and be diffrent people now. Like in Persuasion by Jane Austen. So, I love open endings! And I think all books have open endings of some sort. There is always a second story that can be written. Like a sequel to the first, but not a sequel at all. No, a whole new story. A whole new defferent world and life.
Well, look at that! I sound clever. I loved this book. If you don't want to read the whole review just read this one sentence!

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар