петък, 27 декември 2013 г.

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Ok, so I love Libba Bray! Her books are great and her writing style is great and she really works for her books to be good. I think so far the Diviners is my favourite book. I give you...my review.

7728889
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.


NON-Spoilery part
Do you see this big massive book? Well, of course you do! And I suppose you are affarid of reading it,because it's big and scary and it would take ages to read it. Will you change your mind if I hit you with it over the head? No? Then I should tell you this is a great book. You shouldn't be affraid of it's size. It's so great I can't even begin describing it. I love all books set in the 20's. Not that I have read so many. I pos-i-tute-ly loved the jazz and the parties and you betsky I loved the way all characters, especially Evie, talked. But I should warn you this book is all kinds of creepy too. So if you don't like creepy stuff and ghosts and murders in your books then this is not your cup of tea.
SPOILERS! LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS!!
Ok so the first thing that comes to my mind now are the pairings. I mean, I expected Evie to fall for Memphis or for Sam, but Jericho....never!! He was the boy Mabel liked and Evie never showed particular interest in him. She was flirting with Sam all the time, but with Jericho- never. Then in the end of the book they kind of get together. And then comes Theta and Memphis. Another couple I never thought about. Really, who would have guessed! The poet Memphis and the showgirl Theta. But I must say it worked out well. A thing about this book that I loved was that the romance wasn't the main thing. There was some of it in the end, but that's all.
Now going to the creepy stuff. I just got the Naughty John song stuck in my head this month and I was scaring my friends. Really! Singing this song in class is not a good idea. It was noisy so I started singing it quietly. And then the class went silent and I just continued singing! Yep, it was very a great fun for me!*sarcasm*
I was creeped out of the chapters where Naughty John got those people killed. Meaning: I loved them! And they were just so awful and scary and disgusting sometimes. And I was very sorry for this widow woman. She trusted John when he was alive and he promised her she will be his queen and then he killed her as the 12th offering.(Or was it the 11th?) And I think it was kind of obvious that Evie was the Lady Sun. Who else could it be? And the coat thing? Really? She is the Lady sun because she wears a golden coat. That's what you meant by Lady Sun? Well, anyway she stopped John with her magical powers.

There is much more I can say about this book, but I'll probably start repeating myself. This is a great book and everyone should totally read it. I hightly hightly recommend it!

Now all I have to do is wait for the next book.
See ya!

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар