петък, 27 декември 2013 г.

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

I recently made a post of the best book I read in 2013. I don't know why I didn't include this book. It's a very good book. I seriously can't think of a reason for not posting it there. I read it in the summer and I made a review on Goodreads which I'm posting here now. I'm criticizing the book a lot, but don't listen to me. You can always go and read the book and love it. Enjoy!

6931356Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Lets start with the question why did I pick up this book? (Better question is why did I like it, but that later.) One sunny summer day when a teenage girl alone at home had nothing to do she started looking at a list with summer books in it! She then selected the first book she saw. And this turned out to be this book. So the teenage girl began reading. And she read and read and read and read. Until the book was over.(Meanwhile she had eaten a bow full of cherries and drank a bottle full of water.)
I liked this book, because I`m a teenage girl who is becoming lightheaded during the summer. And I`m ashamed of it!!!I have to pick up a classic book now to clear the stain off my reader reputation. I have to, but I won`t! Why? Because I don`t want to.
I have to say the book has it`s flaws. Like the main heroine (here I go again), the so called DUFF! She says through the whole book that she doesn`t care what the others think. She says she doesn`t care for Wesley`s opinion. And then she is so wounded when he calls her a Duff. She even thinks about it a week, I think. And then her problems start! Her parents get divorced and her ex-boyfriend comes back in town. And she doesn`t talk to her friends and family! No! Cause that would be too simple, right? She goes to the person she hates the most, Wesley. And she doesn`t talk with him either, at least not in the beginning. No! She deals with the problems her own....ummm....teenage way.
And then Wesley`s character reminded me so much of Noah from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. And I didn`t like Noah, but at least he wasn`t rude to Mara. But as in every "love" story the boy changes in the end and he becomes Prince Charming. I don`t think I should be surprised by Wesley and Noah`s behaviour! After all that`s the future of every teenage boy everywhere.(Maybe with a few exceptions, but I haven`t met any of them yet!)
The DUFF`s friends were less irritating. I mean they cared for her and wanted to understand her. (something I was not able to do) And she just kept running away from them. From time to time I was ready to shout at her: Don`t you see what you`ve got there? You`re about to lose your two best friends and the only thing you are thinking about is Wesley and Toby and the fact that nobody likes you and how miserable you are!
And, of course, there is the label problem. The problem with teens being labelled at school. I have been called all of those labels in the book. From slut to nerd. And, yeah, I`m not okay with it, but that's school and life isn`t just rainbows and happiness and all that jazz. But I just go on and I don`t deal with it This way!
WOW! It turned out I didn't like this book this much! I should stop now, before I just delete all the nice things I said and write only the bad ones. And meanwhile give the book one star.
However! Whoever wants to read it, Go on. It`s not as bad as I described it. It`s a nice fast summer read.
Forget everything I said! I LOVE THIS BOOK!
So this is quite a pointless review. The book IS great and you should read it. I still mean the things I said in the review. But I'm just not so critical now.
Ok, I'll see ya next time. Which will probably be today. Because I'm wrting at least five more reviews.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар