сряда, 27 ноември 2013 г.

172 hours on the moon by Johan Harstad

12860573
It's been decades since anyone set foot on the moon. Now three ordinary teenagers, the winners of NASA's unprecedented, worldwide lottery, are about to become the first young people in space--and change their lives forever. Mia, from Norway, hopes this will be her punk band's ticket to fame and fortune. Midori believes it's her way out of her restrained life in Japan. Antoine, from France, just wants to get as far away from his ex-girlfriend as possible.
It's the opportunity of a lifetime, but little do the teenagers know that something sinister is waiting for them on the desolate surface of the moon. And in the black vacuum of space... no one is coming to save them.
In this chilling adventure set in the most brutal landscape known to man, highly acclaimed Norwegian novelist Johan Harstad creates a vivid and frightening world of possibilities we can only hope never come true.


I listened to the audiobook and it's like the second or third audiobook I have ever listened to. I have to say that listening to it was like watching an old fashioned horror movie. All the time I was like: No, don't go there! Don't open that door. Run! For God's sake- run! This book was so creepy that I still shiver when I look at the moon.

Characters

I'm very pleased that this book is not set in the USA and that non of the characters are Americans. It's not that I don't like USA, I love it, but 80% of the YA books are set in the United states. Can you name a book, if we don't count dystopian books, that's not set in the USA.
And the fact that this book is set on the moon! The Moon.  This just screams Epic! I want to thank Ariel Bisset for talking about this book. From the three, Mia, Antoine and Midori, I think I'm like Midori. I want to go to the big city and live there, though I'm a musician like Mia. I don't have a band and I don't compose songs though.  Antoine's reason to go to the moon was... well, ridiculous! He wanted to get away from his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend. You could have gone to Russia or Spain or even Canada, but the moon is a little too far.
And then comes Mr Himofarb. As I said I listened to the audiobook so I'm not sure if that's how his name is written. He tried so hard to warn them, to help them! And yet he couldn't. I just cried when he died.

The code

GEQUJ5! I think that was the code. I never understood this part. What does this code do? I understood it was a warning for them not to go to the moon, but I just couldn't get what was the point of it. If you show three teens this code, of course, they won't get it.

Mia and Antoine, Character deaths

I was very happy when Mia and Antoine started this relationship and it could have been good. They could have ended up together and they could have been happy. Too bad the author had other plans. He just wanted to crush them. To crush and kill everything good and pure and pretty! Now of all the characters who died,  the creepiest death was Stannton and Wilson's. And the moment when Stannton turns around and says: I left the hatch open!
Wilson: So what?
Stannton: It's closed now.
I was just so...so...I don't even have words to describe it. And in the end when they took their helmets off and Stannton's last memory was about his wife. It was so sad and I think I cried. I'm happy we didn't get to see Antoine's death. The doppleganger told Mia he was dead, but I'm glad it/she didn't explain. Midori's death! Again it was sad. To be killed by the urban legent you believe in.

The end

Do I need to talk about the end? I do? Ok, here it comes. I was so happy Mia managed to save herself and I though she can truly live now after she almost died. She will go home and practice with her band and be famous. And then she did this very nice thing for the homeless guy and then....then she killed him. That was just raining on my parade. I was just like: Oh my god! Oh my god! This...oh my god! And then she killed Mia's family. And there it goes. It's in Earth and  it's going to kill us all. The end!

This book is amazing and you should go read it! This is one of those book you want and you don't want a sequel to.

Ok! See ya next time people! And by next time I mean in a few minutes when I'm going to post my next review!

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар